Help for Homework Help: Teaching Parents Common Core Math
Wesley Yuu, a mathematics edcuational sepcialist, worked with teachers and studentsK-5. Teachers observed Wesley teach engaging lessons with students. The learning was focused on how problem solving can be used to construct mathematical understanding.
Wesley Yuu from Pomaikai Elementary on Vimeo.
To meet the Common Core State Standards and the Standards of Mathematical Practice Pōmaikaʻi students are given instructional supports at school, are provided with home mathematic support, and are taught how to take ownership of their mathematical learning.
Mathematics Instructional Supports K-5
- Stepping Stones by Origo Education
- Wesley Yuu PD Resources
- Thinking Maps
- Mortisen Math Manipulatives
- Moving through Math by Marcia Daft, a Kennedy Center Teaching Artist
- Do the Math, Marilyn Burns Supplemental Curriculum
- Marilyn Burns Literature Library
- Singapore Mathematics Strategies
- Online Software: Timez Attack, Symphony Math, Ten Marks, Pearson SuccessNet, Gizmos, and BrainPop
-Stepping Stones Parent Letters (sent home by teachers about each module)
-Symphony Math: Leveled mathematics lessons for grades 2-5. Home Letter
-TenMarks: Assignments for grades 2-5. Parent accounts available to monitor student progress. -Home Letter
- Active participation and collaboration with peers
- Self-Assessments (thumbs up/down, checklists, rubrics, etc.)
- Student reflections (written & verbal)
- Goal setting with “I can” statements
- Collect and record data to monitor progress
Online Mathematics Resources for Families
-NCTM Family Resources Learn how to help your child succeed in math, find multiple links to assist with Homework help, read a few articles on why math is taught differently now.
-Figure This, Family Corner: The resources listed here may help as you work with your child.
Common Core Standards For Parents For Dummies By: Jared Myracle
Helpful Parent Articles
-How to Get Reluctant Students to Love Math
-Tips To Help Children Build Math Problem-Solving Skills
Mathematic Apps for Smart Phones
iTunes Mobile Apps for K-2 Math
iTunes Mobile Apps for 3-5 Math
Android Math Apps K-5
For more information about Pōmaikaʻi's Math strategies
For Math software FAQ: